What were Ian Flemings movements in France in June 1940

Discussion in '1940' started by Roy Martin, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Roy Martin

Roy Martin Senior Member

There are three escapees accounts in Resources which will give you more background, one is Robin Andrews. If you search through my submissions, the long title begins 'Diairies of Escapees (sic)..." Beyond that I have a vast amount of information about the rescues in the three weeks between 4 June and 25 June. My filing system is a shambles, but if you would like to give me a little more idea what you are looking for I will do my best to help.

PokipsiePaddy and JimHerriot like this.
  2. PokipsiePaddy

PokipsiePaddy Member

Thank you Roy.

I'm trying develop a realistic introduction as the main character heads to Bordeaux. The Andrews account helps me appreciate many details such as traffic, weather, timing, etc. and the emotions. If you have anything about the Paris station of SIS, the American Hospital staff and its planning, or Wilfred Dunderdale that would be useful. Any ideas what the staff structure for MI6 in Paris might have been? I presume they must had a HQ location prior to June. How many people worked there. Before he returned to Paris later in the year, he was sent to a prison from my estimate between 21 and 28 Jul, 1940. In his words... "It seems that some of our compatriots have not been behaving themselves in these and other parts & so a general order has been issued to round up everyone. It is being put into force here at once. So today I am off bag and baggage for the Southern Concentration camp at La Landes, with many civilians. I leave for Bordeaux at once."

Do these dates, places, or events ring any bells? Were mass arrests common at this time in the Bordeaux region. As a brave priest and former POW during his WW1 years he seemed quite comfortable almost wanting to be with these imprisoned civilians, The fact that he used the term "civilians" is interesting. As a priest he was a civilian. This suggests he was already reactivated in the Army. A few months later he was promoted Captain. Were many agents both military and MI6?

3. Roy Martin

Roy Martin Senior Member

I'm afraid I look like failing you PP, I am sorry. The background is that my subject is the Merchant Navy, it's service in WW2 especially in the evacuations and landings. I made my first research steps on dry land when I tried to find where the nearly 130,000 British soldiers who needed to be rescued from Breton ports came from, when the press said that every last man had been saved at Dunkirk. Once I worked that one out I started to work on the Polish and Czech troops who were saved further south. Then I chanced on what I discovered was the Suffolk Golding Mission, which, with help from people on this site amongst others, I was able to expand. This led me to the rescue of heavy water, gem diamonds., Ian Fleming and much else.
    If ever you are having a beer with a documentary maker, this is a story that might interest him or her - I hope!

Good luck with your research, I am sure there are others on this site who can help.
    Roy.

4. JimHerriot

JimHerriot Ready for Anything

The information you seek is likely held by Paul Biddle within the Dunderdale Family archive.

You could try through facebook:

Paul's Medal and Document Collection

And/or via Damien Lewis (who occasionally posts on the forum here). Damien Lewis drew on the help of Paul Biddle for his Josephine Baker book.

https://www.forces.net/heritage/his...ne-relationship-celebrity-spy-josephine-baker

Good luck with all, what you seek is likely out there.

Kind regards, always,

Jim.

PokipsiePaddy and Roy Martin like this.
  5. JimHerriot

JimHerriot Ready for Anything

And PokipsiePaddy, this one might be all you need.

Good fortune with all.

Kind regards, always,

Jim.

IMG_20240425_164547_218.jpg

IMG_20240425_164437_129.jpg

IMG_20240425_164500_863.jpg

6. PokipsiePaddy

PokipsiePaddy Member

Much appreciated Roy. The heavy water and smuggled gems story is intriguing and I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again, Patrick

Roy Martin and JimHerriot like this.
  7. PokipsiePaddy

PokipsiePaddy Member

Jim, I appreciate that suggestion. I have another MI6 book, but yours might be more helpful due to the time frame it covers. Thank you, Patrick

JimHerriot likes this.
  8. PokipsiePaddy

PokipsiePaddy Member

Jim, these links are really helpful. I'll reach out through Facebook. Kind regards, Patrick

JimHerriot likes this.
  9. Roy Martin

Roy Martin Senior Member

The story ends with an explosion, as the Bond films do